A sensor is mounted on the pedal crank and senses when you are pedalling (or not) plus how fast you are pedalling and simply supplies electrical motor power to suit from a battery. It is a little like cruise control on a car.
This depends on the size of battery purchased and how well it is maintained. It is estimated to be 3-5 years. We use market leading Samsung lithium ion manganese cells for added quality so we can extend to you a 2 year warranty on batteries – beware if other imported electric bikes are only offering a 6 or 12 month warranty as the battery is a high value component of your electric cycle purchase.
- Best practice is to charge the battery after each use – NEVER LEAVE YOUR BATTERY FLAT – this can reduce the life.
- If you are not using it, charge the battery every 2 months.
- If going away on holiday or leaving your bike for a long time – fully charge and then unplug the battery from the bike.
- No need to fully discharge before each charge.
Dependant on the ebike and battery size. If you pedal assist then 60+ km for the 10.4ah and 80+ km for the 15.6ah battery . If you go faster or the terrain is hilly the range will lessen.
All of our electric bicycles have a push button that indicates the number of green bars left and when all flash you know its fully charged.
The 300 watt motor we use is the maximum allowed under NZ law and are considered a bicycle so our ebikes are not a powered vehicle and you do not need a drivers licence.
The Smartmotion bikes are the only New Zealand electric cycles with Safety Certifications en15194 & AS:NZ198.
This is New Zealand designed, tested and proven to an industrial grade bike by NZ Post that is fully supported nationwide through more than 30 dealers – beware of imported electric bikes that become orphans and spare parts will be very limited if any at all – stick to our proven brand that has been around since 2006.
- All of our electric bikes have LCD screen consoles with self diagnostics – you will get a specific error code on the LCD screen which will tell you what component has failed.
- All of our electric components have marine rated plugs close to the component so it is very straightforward to replace damaged plugs with new ones.
- There is very little extra required beyond standard bike maintenance – do not submerge the motor under water.
All of our ebike range has a key lock onto the bike frame. You also have the choice to unlock the battery and take with you.
All of our ebikes are weather proof with marine grade plugs and can be ridden in rain and through puddles. The warranty will be null and void if you ride through deep water that submerges the motor. Same for riding in any saltwater whatsoever.
Normally between 4-7 hours.
Yes and it rides very well with no resistance from the electric motor – beware of imported bikes that do not have an internal freewheel.
There are 3 riding modes:
- Ride like a normal bicycle with no battery assistance
- Ride with only electric power – not recommended as battery life is reduced
- Ride with you pedalling and assisting the electric power drive – this is the most efficient mode as it achieves the best results to assist on hills, headwinds, late for work, gives you a light workout, etc.
No we do not have regenerative charging. All the research to date has shown only a very small addition to the bike range with the componentry too expensive for not much gain.